History of Calvary Baptist Church - "A Church that Serves"
Calvary Baptist Church began around 1949 with a small group of believers meeting at Love Memorial School for worship. Little did they realize how God would honor their commitment to honor and please Him during the years to come.
A parcel of land on the Cherryville Highway was purchased and a tent was erected. The name Love Memorial Baptist Church was chosen.
Due to the size of the lot, plans were made to purchase a larger lot in the Hilltop community. Plans were made for a permanent structure for God's house. (The small frame church that you see in the picture was that structure.)
In 1954, a loan of $6,000 was acquired for the purpose of additions and brick veneering. Also, Love Memorial Baptist Church was changed to Calvary Baptist Church. This change was made when the church became affiliated with the South Fork Association, the NC Baptist State Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
A fellowship hall was completed in 1964.
A new sanctuary was completed in 1975.
A fellowship hall expansion was completed in 2000.